Random Chatty Day: Guernsey Cattle

Hello, and welcome to the Mother of Gooses blog, where I talk about hymns, instruments, recipes, and animals. 

Today, we are looking at the Guernsey Cattle breed.

I have recently decided that I really like the Guernsey, because they are AMAZING.

The average Guernsey cow gives 4.6 to 5.5 gallons of milk per day.

That is a lot.

And this isn't just any milk either; the Guernsey gives milk that is high in protein and butterfat. 

So when you let the milk sit in the fridge for a several hours, the cream comes to the top, you can skim it, and then you can shake it and make the precious baking substance known as butter.

And, since the Guernsey is a medium-sized cow, you are giving it 20 to 30 percent less feed for each pound of milk that you get, compared to the much bigger Holstein.

And how are they for beef, you might ask.

The beef from a Guernsey is said to be delicious; however, the fat is yellow, and, being incredibly picky and spoiled, people don't like that.

Come on, people! It's better for you than the regular white fat!

And as working animals, the Guernsey is a very good beast of burden, according to Drew Conroy in his book, Oxen: A Teamster's Guide.

The Guernsey Cattle breed originated from the Channel Islands between England and France, and was recognized as a breed in 1700. 

To get a Guernsey, you have to pay at least $1,500. That's a lot.

The bulls are around 2,000 pounds, while the cows are typically 1,400. Calves are about 64 pounds at birth.

That's a very big baby.

I really, really like the Guernsey breed, and I just researched it today. 

If I left anything out, please let me know; also, comment to let me know how useful today's post was.

I send out new content every Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Random Chatty Days just like this one; go to past posts to read more.

Goodbye, God bless... And get a Guernsey for my sake.


     -Mother of Gooses

   Thank you for letting the Mother of Gooses blog be your source of information

Highland Cattle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Links To Other Posts

Lyrics to the hymn, This Is My Father's world

Lyrics to the hymn, Sweet Hour Of Prayer