Random Chatty Day: Octobass

 


Hello, hello, and welcome to another Random Chatty Day! Today, we are going to talk about the biggest instrument in the world, the octobass.

It was first made in Paris around 1850, by Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume, a French luthier.

There are only 7 octobass in the world, and all but one are in museums. The one outside of the museums is the one that belongs to the Montreal symphony orchestra.

But why are they so uncommon?  

Because they are HUGE.

They typically stand at 11 to 12 feet tall which is higher than your average ceiling. Wow. And they weigh about 290 pounds, which is... A lot. Like, that's more than the massive English mastiff.

The octobass has 3 strings, which are tuned to a very low C, G, and D. 0, 0, and 1, to be exact. 

Since the octobass is so large, and because of how thick the strings are, when one is played, it is with the assistance of several levers and pulleys.

I think it would be easier to just play the violin.



While the violin only costs around $200 to $1,000, if you could purchase an octobass, it  would probably cost you millions.

To be honest, there is no actual price. That is because almost nobody is CRAZY enough to want one! Except me.

I mean, I don't want it the same way I would want a cello or a bass; why?

Because I know I will never have one. It's not possible. So while it would be neat to have one, I'm going to be content with the piano, guitar, violin, kalimba, and various wind instruments.

God has blessed all of us in one way or another, and I think it would be wise to recognize that, and thank him for what he has done for us.

Hey, I have a challenge for you: I want you to start thinking about all of the nice things God has done for you, write them down, and then tell people about the blessings in your life.



If you liked today's post, and would like to read more, go back to past posts while you wait for Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, or another... 

Random Chatty Day! 

Bye! 


    -Mother of Gooses 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Links To Other Posts

Lyrics to the hymn, This Is My Father's world

Lyrics to the hymn, Sweet Hour Of Prayer